It has been so long since blogging, so long since writing what I wanted to write that I am full up of ideas and don’t have the time or patience to write them all out, so I made a list, a list of things that are true.
1) The grass is green.
2) The snow is white.
2b) The snow is crystalline, therefore purified, water.
3) The night sky is black.
4) The tyrannical impulse of the nannies in this world is almost to the point that I could be permanently branded a racist for points 2 and 3 above.
5) Old people being nostalgic inspires exactly zero young people.
6) To restate 5, your ‘good old days’ never existed.
7) I am sick to exhaustion of people telling me ‘Conservative should do X, Y or Z’ or “don’t enjoy Star Wars, it is ‘unredeemed Pagan’”. We enjoy Star Wars because it is a riot while ‘The Children of Hurin’ is soul-crushingly sad. As a corollary, those pimple-faced wimps that everyone complains about, that de-masculinization of the American man, not sure I buy the premise. I think the reality may be that in the past the weak died, and now we can feed everyone. I think its possible that the only way to have a society of a bunch of really tough people is if 10% of the population dies every few years to plagues and wars. I for one am willing to make the trade. Also, a lot of those ‘pimple faced kids’ care more about life and joy and their liberty that you old curmudgeons who want to dictate what they can enjoy or say or do ever feel.
8) Is it any wonder that no young person wants to be an adult? The country, the church, the communities are all run by the ancient who treat them with disdain and dismiss them as incompetents. There is almost no place in this world, where the old hold on to power with the grasp of a miser, for the young to stretch out and be at liberty to be their own adults.
9) Increased oil production drives down prices, even on a global scale.
10) Given the chance, the free market will kill the cartel every time.
11) Liquid water is mighty wet stuff.
12) Accusations of any crime must be supported by evidence. The magnitude of the accusation carries no weight outside the kangaroo courts of tyrants.
13) False accusations that ruin someone’s life should have weighty penalties attached, otherwise the witch-hunters point at anyone they don’t link, shout ‘Witch’ and the innocent burn at the stake. (See: ‘Salam’, and ‘Duke Lacrosse’)
14) That I believe that 12 and 13 applies to accusations of rape as well as any other accusation of any crime apparently makes me a rape-denier or worse rape-apologist to some people.
15) Irrespective of what people in 4 and 14 think, the truth matters.
15b) There can be no such thing as a lie told to illustrate the truth. Its a lie, and it cannot point to the truth.
16) Eventually, every worldview, every set of beliefs that is not founded upon truth will itself be crushed into tiny fragments by the truth.
17) Sometimes 16 takes a very long time.
18) There are whales in our oceans and trees in forests because of the exploitation of oil.
19) Wind farms slaughter birds and bats.
20) A philosophy of truth that does not include the ability to communicate that truth is fundamentally useless for science: the mass adoption of such a philosophy will return science to the black magic of a priestly caste, i.e. the state that Christian men found science in to begin with.
21) Andrew Klavan is almost always right.
22) If you are unmarried and without children you must put massive effort into serving others, otherwise you are becoming more selfish and self-centered every day.
23) Having a family is sanctifying, because you are constantly required to surrender your wants to the needs of your family: and this is very good.
24) Babies are great, but toddlers are awesome.
25) This morning Leonidas was saying ‘stumble trip. Stumble trip…’ (while moving his feet up and down) ‘WHATS THAT??’ (while pointing) and then in a near roar ‘A BEAR!!!!!’ ‘Raaaaar!’ (With his hands up like bear claws)… Toddlers are awesome.
26) I probably made 20 paper airplanes over the weekend, at the incessant request for ‘Airpane… airpane’ from a little boy holding yet another flat piece of paper… He even threw a couple such that they flew a little…Toddlers are awesome.
27) The campaign against ebola amounts to nothing more than whack-a-mole… every time the disease lets up a little, we scale back our efforts as if trying to ensure it becomes endemic to the region. If it starts to recede, we should be doubling or tripling our efforts in order to stomp it out of existence…
28) Fighting terrorists should be done the same way, when they are losing, hit them even harder until they are crushed. The goal of campaigns against Ebola and terrorism isn’t containment, the goal is elimination.
29) Ebola doesn’t have to get out of control, it merely has to outlast us. It (obviously) doesn’t know it, but if it lasts long enough those socities will break down entirely and then it will explode out of control.
30) The terrorists, on the other hand, know this full well. ISIS is the ‘exploding out of control’ phase.
31) The grass is green.
Let us end with a fantastic poem from Chesterton.
Ecclesiastes: G. K. Chesterton
There is one sin: to call a green leaf grey,
Whereat the sun in heaven shuddereth
There is one blasphemy: for death to pray,
For God alone knoweth the praise of death.
There is one creed: ‘neith no world-terror’s wing
Apples forget to grow on apple-trees.
There is one thing is needful – everything-
The rest is vanity of vanities.
PS. If you want to argue about any of these… I’d be happy to do combat in the comments.